Materials needed: )
Grated coconut — 1 kilo)
Refined sugar — 600 gms. )
Glacial acetic acid — 325 c (available in drugstores) )
Coconut water — ½ liter)
Ordinary water — 12 liters)
Nata starter — 2 liters (available at ITDI)
1. Extract the cream from the coconut, strain through a cheesecloth.
2. Mix all ingredients.
3. Transfer to big mouthed clean jars and allow around 2-3 inches in height of the liquid.
4. Cover with a clean cheesecloth. The culture is allowed to grow at room temperature for 15 days or more. Note: Do not move the jars during growth period.
5. Harvest is ready after 15 days or more, making sure that all conditions are asceptic so as to enable one to reuse the remaining liquid which serves as starter for succeeding preparations.
6. Dessert Making: The "nata" is cut into cubes and is subjected to a series of boiling with fresh water until acidity is totally removed. One kilo of refined sugar is added for every kilo of nata and are mixed. It is brought to boiling until the "nata" cubes become transparent.
Source: Technology developed by: ITDI (DOST)