High quality fish sauce (patis) with 13.6% protein content and fish paste (bagoong).
1. Fish of assorted species
2. Enzymes from micro-organisms
Fermentation vessels provided with stirrer
1. Wash assorted species of fish to free them from undesirable dirt.
2. Grind fish to facilitate hydrolysis of the protein constituent.
3. Place ground fish into clean fermentation vessels provided with stirrer.
4. Add appropriate amount of salt and mix uniformly to inhibit the growth of micro-organisms during fermentation.
5. Introduce enzymes obtained from micro-organisms of plant animals to fortify the natural endoenzymes present in the fish. Stir the mixture.
6. Adjust the pH requirement of the particular enzyme used.
7. Ferment for 13 days. Clean the digested mash by filtering. Bottle the clear reddish brown liquid as patis and the residue containing some insoluble protein as “bagoong.”
8. Fermentation is allowed to occur for 13 days. The digested mash is cleared and from the filtered clear reddish brown liquid is bottled as quality patis and the residue containing some insoluble protein as bagoong.
Descriptor: Food technology
Descriptor: Fish sauces